2012. december 8., szombat

Talking Money at Home

I was fortunate — my parents instilled in me the importance of personal financial management. Mom and Dad taught me a lot of things that have been invaluable throughout my life, and among those things were sound principles for earning, spending, and saving money. My parents had to know how to do these things, because they were raising a family of three children on (usually) one modest income. They knew the importance of making the most of what you have and of passing that vital skill on to your kids.

However, my parents’ financial knowledge did have some gaps. I observed firsthand the struggles my father endured handling some retirement money he was forced to deal with after being laid off from a job when I was in middle school. In subsequent years, this situation propelled me to learn about investing to help myself, my family, and others.

In many families money is a taboo subject — parents don’t level with their kids about the limitations, realities, and details of their budgets. Some parents I talk with believe that dealing with money is an adult issue and that kids should be insulated from it so that they can enjoy being kids. In many families, kids may hear about money only when disagreements and financial crises bubble to the surface. Thus begins the harmful cycle of children having negative associations with money and financial management.

In other cases, parents with the best of intentions pass on their bad money management habits. You may have learned from a parent, for example, to buy things to cheer yourself up. Or you may have witnessed a family member maniacally chasing get rich quick business and investment ideas. Now I’m not saying that you shouldn’t listen to your parents. But in the area of personal finance, as in any other area, poor family advice and modeling can be problematic.

Think about where your parents learned about money management, and then consider whether they had the time, energy, or inclination to research choices before making their decisions. For example, if they didn’t do enough research or had faulty information, your parents may mistakenly think that banks are the best places for investing money or that buying stocks is like going to Las Vegas.

In still other cases, the parents have the right approach, but the kids go to the other extreme out of rebellion. For example, if your parents spent money carefully and thoughtfully and at times made you feel denied, you may tend to do the opposite, buying yourself gifts the moment any extra money comes your way.

Although you can’t change what the educational system and your parents did or didn’t teach you about personal finances, you now have the ability to find out what you need to know to manage your finances.

Tip
If you have children of your own, I’m sure you agree that kids really are amazing. Don’t underestimate their potential or send them out into the world without the skills they need to be productive and happy adults. Buy them some good financial books when they head off to college or begin their first job.

0 megjegyzés:

Megjegyzés küldése